Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 00:03:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        i.think@nemox.looksharp.net (NemoX), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KNE40BT in freebsd only getting 45KB/sec ftp transfer to win98 machine

> In reply:
> > I am running FreeBSD-current and for some reason I am only
> > getting~45KB/sec
> > transfer to a computer running Windows 98.  I have a Kingston
> > KNE40BTcard and I
> > can find no hardware error as to why I am only reaching those speeds.
> > Could you suggest what may be the error?
> >
> > Andrew Tamm
>
> ummmmmmm..  winblowz-98.

More likely the card is in full duplex mode talking to a half duplex
network.  What type of hub/switch is the KNE40BT plugged into.  One
other thing to look for is what does the collision light look like?

I've seen a batch of KNE100TX's that had real problems, I've had to
RMA about 6 of them now due to link level failure of the hardware.
They cause the collision light to come on almost solid, and behave
like what you are seeing as far as transfer rates.

The problem I was seeing seems to be temperature related.  If you turn
the machine off for a few hours and let it get nice and cool it will
run for anywhere from 10 minutes to 6 hours just fine, then whamooo....
collisions from h*ll.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net