Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:03:59 +0100
From:      "Marco van de Voort" <marcov@stack.nl>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ported application

I ported an application, and it is starting to work on FreeBSD, and I now
joined ports to create a port if that is desirable.

The app is the FreePascal compiler (www.freepascal.org), which is written in
Pascal and compiled by itself, and doesn't basically use any C source
(including header files and libc) This also means that relative small changes
in  the FreeBSD architecture don't affect the (core) binaries (it is statically
linked and bin works on 3.x and 4)

People in the freebsd-hackers told me that such (non gcc compiled or compiled
by gcc descendants) projects already exist? Can somebody give me
some examples where I can look at?

Also the project itself is fragmented and quite complex. (we use a binary
installer on most platforms to sort it out)

1 The core (the compiler and corelibs itself) are dependant on nothing except
	FreeBSD version (read ELF and syscalls like in 3.x/4.x)
1b some parts not needed for bootstrapping need libc. (IPC
2 The next layer (basic, but not needed to bootstrap) can use libc,
	and even ncurses. The TUI IDE, which is in development, uses these.
	The IDE also uses a large (4-10 MB depending on debug info) libgdb.a.
	(for the internal debugger), which is a modified (lib)gdb 4.18
3 A classes library. Uses zlib (but can revert to an internal, pascal zlib if
	not present).
4 The next layer is the rest. Interface stuff like QT, GTK, xlib, MESA based
	FORMS, OPENGL,IBASE,PostGreSQL, MySQL, and native GUI widget
	sets on top of them.

Separately are also docs in pdf TeX.  (PDF/HTML precompiled available)

How does one implement such port? A single port entry would be quite large
(5-9 MB (depends on inclusion of non BSD stuff for crosscompiling, and
increasing daily ). Several ports hard to maintain.

Free Pascal is also going through rather fast development, and maybe two
ports could be made (last release and current (  CVS source snapshot in zip files are
generated daily, and are simply compiled by the last release compiler)

Marco van de Voort (MarcoV@Stack.nl)
<http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/xtdlib.htm>;