Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2006 23:58:34 +0000
From:      "Joao Barros" <joao.barros@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Huawei E220 HSDPA modem : not all functions are detected

Hi,

I got a Vodafone 3.5G USB dongle from my company and I was curious if
it worked with FreeBSD

dmesg:

umass0: <HUAWEI Technologies HUAWEI Mobile, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.00,
addr 2> on uhub0
(probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Uninitialized Transport 5:c3f1f8f0?
cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <HUAWEI Mass Storage 2.31> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 1.000MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

usbdevs output:

# usbdevs -vd
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
  uhub0
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
  uhub1
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, power 500 mA, config 1, HUAWEI
Mobile(0x1003), HUAWEI Technologies(0x12d1), rev 0.00
   umass0
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
  uhub2
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
 port 3 powered
 port 4 powered

I tried loading the ubsa(4) kernel module since the man page states
support for Vodafone Mobile Connect 3G datacard but that must be a
different device.

I found (a fellow portuguese) that ran into trouble with this device
since it this a multi-function device (storage + USB Serial). More
info here: http://the.taoofmac.com/space/Huawei/E220

Apart from the aparent lack of support for this device I'm curious to
know if FreeBSD supports USB multi-function devices

Any thoughts into this matter would be apreciated.
I'll be more than happy to supply any extra info or do any kind of testing.

--
Joao Barros