Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 2016 09:48:07 -0800
From:      Hamza Sheikh <fehrist@codeghar.com>
To:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make buildworld failed with error "relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_JUMP24 against symbol `_fini'"

Thank you for the detailed reply.

 > An explanation of why you hit a problem anyway might be that you have
an odd mix of paths in your note. For example:

 >> /usr/local/raspbsd/src/common/lib/csu/arm/crt1.c
 >
 > is apparently not inside the tree starting at
 >
 >> /usr/src
 >
 > But your "steps" show /usr/src use:
 >
 >> # svnlite checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/head /usr/src
 >> . . .
 >> # cd /usr/src
 >> # svnlite update
 >> . . .
 >> # svnlite info
 >> Working Copy Root Path: /usr/src
 >> . . .
 >> # make buildworld
 >

 > May be something not shown from your /etc/src.conf or some place else
redirected things? May be you are picking up some old files from a prior
build?

$ cat /etc/src.conf
KERNCONF=RPI2
WITHOUT_DEBUG_FILES=YES

 > Notes about where -mlong-calls are used. . .

Thank you for the details.

 > They all are in -r294031 on base/head . (One of the 5 arm specific
ones has been there a little longer: -r293648 .)

 > While clang 3.8.0 builds normally have this large-distance issue, as
far as I know normal clang 3.7.1 builds do not normally have large
enough distances to create the issue. But the paths in your notes
suggest something is not normal about your context.

Toby[1] hit the same error as me. It appears that he may not be using
the same install image as me as his error snippet shows
/usr/src/lib/csu/arm/crt1.c instead of
/usr/local/raspbsd/src/common/lib/csu/arm/crt1.c.

 > Separately: I agree with Andreas Schwarz's note that doing builds and
installs while having a tiny /tmp is likely not going to work: /tmp will
likely run out of space even though elsewhere has lots of space available.

I changed to using tmpfs for /tmp and hit the same error.

$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcsd0s1   /boot/msdos     msdosfs rw,noatime      0 0
/dev/mmcsd0s2a  /               ufs rw,noatime          1 1
#md             /tmp            mfs rw,noatime,-s50m    0 0
md              /var/log        mfs rw,noatime,-s15m    0 0
md             /var/tmp        mfs rw,noatime,-s10m    0 0
tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs rw,mode=777 0 0

$ cat /etc/rc.conf
hostname="rpi2"
ifconfig_ue0="DHCP"
sshd_enable="YES"

powerd_enable="YES"

# Nice if you have a network, else annoying.
ntpd_enable="YES"
ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"

# Uncomment to disable common services (more memory)
#cron_enable="NO"
#syslogd_enable="NO"
sendmail_enable="NONE"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
# On first boot, enlarge the root filesystem to fill the SD card
growfs_enable="YES"

ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="YES"
ifconfig_ue0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
rtsold_enable="YES"