Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 97 12:47:16 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        nc@ai.net (Network Coordinator)
Cc:        rg@gds.de, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 300 000 hits / day

> Without getting into specifics, 300k/day on a web server with FreeBSD is
> nothing.
>
> We have boxes that are averaging over 40 million hits a day [average hit
> 954bytes] without blinking. (over 50 conns/sec)

> > we are running a very haevy loaded www-server (300.000 hits per day,
> > 45 MB data traffic per hour) on FreeBSD 2.2 (2.2 binaries, but 3.0
> > kernel), AMD 133, 64 MB RAM, Apache 1.2.
> >
> > The server has a lot of hits and especially amounts of CGIs running.

Is that 40 million hits per day _with_ or _without_ CGI's?

My PPro 200 moves a gigabyte of Usenet traffic every hour, is offered over
80 articles per second, offers about that same number out, and actually
sends about 20% of that.

But we have to bear in mind that an AMD 133 (assuming that's a "DX5/133"),
even on a very good motherboard, has nowhere near the CPU potential of a
PPro 200.

If I didn't actually have to _process_ the data, I am sure I could shovel
it around a heck of a lot faster.

(That's why it's sorta important to know, is that with or without CGI's,
and what kind of CPU)

... JG