Date:      Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:00:03 -0400
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        giffunip@tutopia.com, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How about finally replacing GNATS? (was Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve)

[removing specific proposals here to make a general comment]

I don't think anyone wants to keep GNATS. However most proposals of
this type are "lets use bug tracking system X because it has features
A, B, C."

With every tool change comes a workflow change and we need to be able
to deal with that. As a member of the bugbusting team one of the most
useful features for me has been the ability to use shell scripts to
change bug states. As a port maintainer one of the most useful
features has been the ability to use send-pr from the command line
_without registration_. As a comitter having my commits automatically
posted to the PR was very convenient. I am obviously not the only user
and what is important to me might be trivial to other people.  If one
wants to gain the support of the community, and to have a good
proposal we need to work forwards:  What are the requirements we are
looking for in a bug tracking system? Only then could we look to see
what software fulfills this.

In order to achieve that goal I am working on two things: a) A wiki
page which we could use to describe the features we want *in order of
priority* and b) A Google form with a list of features and related
issues to act as a survey. The former is quite empty at the moment.
The latter will be announced (hopefully) shortly

--
Eitan Adler