Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:12:21 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mail spam, sigh...

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:

> Along this vein... I'd like to suggest adding the RBL support to the default
> sendmail file (freebsd.mc).  This way, all FreeBSD systems would, by
> default, drop SMTP connections from the sites on the blacklist.
>
> I'd also like to add the anti-relay code to the file, but that's a bit
> trickier, I'm afraid (too easy to get wrong and screw things up).

Spammers started using our sendmail 8.8.5 to relay "Enter the Zone" crap
all over the world.  It appears that many spammers are looking for relay
hosts in asia.  I setup 8.8.8 with the anti-relay stuff to quench this
spam.  Sigh, it does gives you more work because you have to manage a list
of hosts or domains to grant them the right to relay mail.

Mike