Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:43:27 +0200
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: enigmail-thunderbird doesn't work with latest thunderbird

El Lunes, 28 de Marzo de 2005 01:07, Doug Barton escribi=F3:
> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> >>
> >> Jose,
> >>
> >> I'm not sure what your motivations are with these posts, but you
> >> are quite simply 100% wrong here. As I posted last night, it works
> >> fine if you follow the instructions in the pkg-message file that
> >> prints after 'make install'.
> >
> > It may work, but this is _not_ supported.  As this is do now in
> > mail/enigmail-thunderbird, it is _not_ registered as an extension.
>
> Ok, this is more like it. You seem like a very smart guy Jose, so you
> can do us all a favor if you reduce the hyperbole, and focus on the
> world as it is, instead of how you want it to be.

One of the biggest problems with 'the old seamonkey way' was just this. =20
This is why the extension manager was born.  The actual=20
enigmail-thunderbird hack can't survive to a thunderbird port=20
reinstall.

> >> I agree that this would be a nice goal, where are your patches to
> >> implement it?
> >
> > I haven't worked this, but I'll do if interest.
> >
> > It is documented in http://enigmail.mozdev.org/source.html
> >
> > do a make all in mail/enigmail-thunderbird port cd
> > $WRKDIR/extensions/xpi sed -i.bak -e 's/bash/sh/' genxpi gmake xpi
> >
> > and you'll get $WRKDIR/dist/bin/enigmail-0.90.1-freebsd.xpi.  This
> > is usable with both mozilla-1.7.6 and thunderbird 1.0.2.
>
> This is very interesting stuff, I'll give this a try. I would prefer
> to manage my extensions through tbird's extension manager if
> possible.
>
> > But I prefer do this with the mozilla/thunderbird port.
>
> I'm not sure what this means.

More or less, what we do now with calendar or chatzilla in seamonkey=20
(mozilla).  The only diff is that we must extract the enimail tarball=20
in the right place after mozilla extract.

> > I don't test this (in my todo list, with localiced builds). But it
> > may be reachable adding enigmail to the extensions list after src
> > merge (in files/mozconfig.in).
>
> I'm not 100% sure what this means, but if you're suggesting that we
> include enigmail builds by default with thunderbird or mozilla, I
> don't agree that this is a good idea. People like the ports system to
> be modular, without extra overhead for things that they don't want to
> use.

The problem seems to be that the actual extension manager can't be=20
worked easy with a port system.  There is a debian patchset, but I=20
don't thing this can be imported (official builds).

As one of the target features of aviary-1.1 is make the extension=20
manager work with 'just dropped' extensions.  This will make=20
firefox/thunderbird port possible again.

In the meantime, go to mail/thunderbird, do a 'make config install=20
clean' and get a localized, enigmail-enabled install may be of=20
interest.

But I also prefer a modular way.  Just I can't reach it.=20
=20
> > I think that, while this don't reach the packages FreeBSD offer
> > (Builds in the package cluster with PACKAGE_BUILDING defined), this
> > is compatible with official builds.
> >
> > Also, I remember 0.89.6 xpi for FreeBSD-5.3 in
> > http://enigmail.mozdev.org/download.html
>
> Yes, I think it would be a good goal if $SOMEONE (which should
> probably be the gnome team) took it upon themselves to contact the
> mozdev guys and offered official builds of the stuff we have in our
> ports tree. It sounds like you have some good ideas as to how to
> adapt the ports we have to make some of this work, why don't you
> create some patches for discussion?

I thing this is of real interest.  Apart of some .xpi that need os/arch=20
specific bits, I'll glad to see some FreeBSD packages in the contrib/=20
and contrib-localized/ dirs of mozilla.org releases.

But my free time is very limited right now.

My actual plans go to get this working in local ports (time permitting)=20
and offer the final ports/packages/bits through my home ftp/web.
=20
> Doug

=2D-
  josemi