Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:07:07 -0300
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tulio_Guimar=E3es_da_Silva?= <tuliogs@pgt.mpt.gov.br>
Subject:   Re: Slow apache response

--------------000408050802020700020706

A bit late, but... :)

Shane Ambler wrote:

>>>Are you  running apache 1.3 or 2.0? Is httpd.conf configured *not* to
>>>do reverse dns-look-up, 'HostnameLookups Off'. Try setting 'KeepAlive
>>>Off' if set to on.
>>>
>>erver version: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)
>>Server built:   Feb 10 2005 12:34:22
>>
>>KeepAlive on
>>HostnameLookup off
>>
>>I'll try changing KeepAlive
>>
>Setting KeepAlive off seemed to make improvements initially but it has
>slowed down again (2 hours later) - maybe I need to look at caching?

  Keepalive Off shouldn´t really help much if Apache is not topping the
maximum number of processes.
  For what it seems (to me), the problem is not directly apache-related,
but maybe PHP, Mysql or some other "peripheral" system, since CPU and
proccess usage is not the bottleneck. Anyway, there are a few tricks I
can suggest - excuses if some are too elementary, but these could also
help other people: ;)
  1) Apache: check "Min/Max SpareServers", "Startservers" (which I
guess, from your first message, it´s set to 150) and (important)
"MaxClients". If they´re set to reasonable values, then the problem is
probably elsewhere;
  2) PHP: try varying some settings in phi.ini (usually in
/usr/local/etc). Ports intallations suggest tuning "output_buffering"
and I would also suggest you to look at memory_limit. It could be also a
good idea to enable error logging to figure out if other settings are
insufficient;
  3) Mysql: there seems to be some performance issues with this one.
There´s a not-so-old thread discussing Mysql performance in FBSD
compared to Linux, and even though our Mysql usage in FBSD here at work
is almost to be ignored, :) there are some good performance tips in
there that helped;
  4) and, finally, OS&hardware: try to see how much memory is
effectively being used and by who; maybe some apps (like PHP) are
auto-limiting their memory use. Also, there has been a few issues with
I/O in 5.4, specially with RAID and fxp subsystems - e.g.: I just raised
by about 20-30% disk transfer rates on a DL380 and by 50% on a ML-110
with Highpoint RR1820A. ;)

  Don´t the logs show any anormality (massive crashes, timeouts, etc.)?
  I hope this all could help. Have luck,

Tulio G. da Silva

--------------000408050802020700020706--