Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 12:07:06 -0400
From:      Marcia Barrett Nice <mimerki@myrealbox.com>
To:        jameswu@SoftHome.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie: What Network Driver

This question might be better asked on freebsd-questions, however I will give
it a shot.  Keep in mind that my advice is worth exactly what you're paying
for it.

It looks to me like you're working too hard at this.  Assuming you have
burned yourself a CD, ignore the NICs in the initial kernel set-up.
According to my GENERIC kernel file (from 4.3), once you complete the
installation sis is built automatically active within the kernel.  At that
point, you should be able to set your network settings and be done with it.
You shouldn't even need to rebuild the kernel.   If you are trying to install
from ftp, I have no idea what you should do (other than try to come up with a
CD).

I have no idea why you are getting two different error messages for two
different drivers, except possibly that one may be more or differently
(in)compatable with the sis driver that you seem to need.

BTW, good work on your troubleshooting.

Hope this helps,
Marci

On Saturday 11 May 2002 03:16 am, jameswu@SoftHome.net wrote on Newbie: What
Network Driver:

--
So why, pray, sign anything as long as every word, letter, penstroke,
paperspace is a perfect signature of its own?