Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:45:37 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

At 06:27 PM 3/16/2000 , Doug Barton wrote:

> > In this case, Walnut Creek shall have a permanent edge over any other
> > company that might want to use the name FreeBSD, because at least two
> > people who work for it will always be able to preview any competitive
> > product long before shipment.
> >
> > Not an acceptable policy.
>
>         Ok, then you need to immediately cease all plans to ever market
>any product that uses the word FreeBSD in it. No halfway intelligent
>person would ever grant anyone the right to use their trademark without
>having full knowledge about what kind of product their name is going to be
>placed on.

I guess you do not consider Linus Torvalds to be intelligent, then.

>         You clearly have absolutely no idea how the real world works
>Brett.

Yes, I do. And when it doesn't work, it's usually due to people being
overly controlling, possessive, and/or otherwise anal retentive, as
you are being here. It's people like you, and attitudes such as yours,
which are the greatest dangers to the BSDs' success and have kept them
from achieving prominence up to this point.

Of course, if you are in such denial that you refuse to consider or
learn from the success of Linux, there's just no point trying to
enlighten you.

--Brett