Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 07:59:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        steve@edmweb.com (Steve Reid)
Cc:        kory@avatar.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are 2 drives better than 1?

In a previous message, Steve Reid said:
> > I'm trying to put a high performance freebsd system together and I have a
> > question. Would it be faster to have 2 scsi drives, one for root, swap,
> > and /usr and the other for /home, or 1 drive and put everything one it?
>
> All other things being equal, multiple drives are certainly faster than a
> single drive.
>
> With two drives, you can make two accesses (almost?) simultaneously,
> whereas with one drive you have to wait for the read head to finish
> accessing the first file before it can move to read the second file. The
> more drives the better, provided you can split up your directory structure
> appropriately.
>
> You could even use ccd so that the filesystem is automatically and
> transparently split evenly between the disks, but that kinda puts all your
> eggs in one basket.

If you go with multiple disks, you want to split the FSs by use. If you
access both /var and /home a lot, then split them. Also, you may wish
to consider putting swap on both disks. You'll get some benifit from
that.

On the other hand, you say you have (or are getting) the 2940UW. The handbook
says that there isn't much benifit to wide, unless you're going to use it
for heavy nfs or server use.

Paul.

--
Herbivores ate well cause their food didn't never run. -- Jonathan Fishman