Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:20:34 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: chroot'ing named

> ted
>> setantae

>>Are you saying that an extra layer of security is pointless, so chroot'ing
>>named _should_ be hard ?

>Shall I turn the question on it's head and throw it right back to you:  Are
>you saying that the extra layer of security is a requirement so the admin can
>be lazy and never bother applying security patches?

How does extra securtiy equate to laziness?
Admin A has installed 2 levels of security; admin B has installed none.
Is admin A lazier than admin B??

> If the DNS goes away then the
> entire network is junk.  By contrast failure of any other single server
> won't take the network with it.

Then surely to $DEITY that's a good reason for having security steps for
securing this actually work.

If the Handbook steps don't work, the Handbook needs fixing.
If a jail is a better solution, then a jail should be suggested in the Handbook.

Setantae has offered to do these, which is great. Personally I'd have raised
this on the security list, or possibly doc, but I think they're valid points.

And if a jail can be made easier, and we already have a fix (borrowed from
OpenBSD) what's wrong with that? Sheesh.

--
Stult's Report:
	Our problems are mostly behind us.  What we have to do now is