Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 16:35:27 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group" <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, "Patrick Seal" <patseal@hyperhost.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ucd-snmp

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cy Schubert" <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>

| In message <20000512170354.A31801@hyperhost.net>, Patrick Seal writes:
| > On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 01:44:57PM -0700i, Chad R. Larson wrote:
| > > I think they're pointing out the difference between "pkg_delete", a
| > > binary part of the system, and "pkg_remove", a perl script in ports.
| >
| > Whoops! Anyway, looking at the source code, what's so great about it?
Why
| > should anyone use it?
|
| Let's take removing Samba as an example:

[example of how much better pkg_remove is trimmed]

This begs the question: If it does the job so much better than pkg_delete,
why hasn't its functionality been incorporated into pkg_delete?

I think the next big step for the open/free/source-available software
movement is to run C programming boot camps so guys like me who hack around
in perl but not C can get turned into effective contributers in a fortnight.