Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2019 23:24:50 +1000
From:      MJ <mafsys1234@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help:: Listen queue overflow killing servers

On 26/07/2019 11:08 pm, Paul Macdonald via freebsd-questions wrote:

> On 26/07/2019 13:52, Robert Schulze wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 26.07.19 um 13:58 schrieb Paul Macdonald via freebsd-questions:
>> I think, these processes waiting for disk i/o are actually your problem.
>> Since they cannot answer further requests, they run into the listen
>> queue overflow.
>>
>> You should check the processes with procstat:
>>
>> list kernel threads:
>> # procstat -kk <PID>
>>
>> list open files:
>> # procstat -f <PID>
>

> One of the things we do (whihc may be bad)  is to log to a single file
> ( e.g all.sites.log, this doesn;t seem to cause problems in general ,
> but i can see how if there's X child processes then they may all need
> write locks)

Unless it's hammering the log and there's locks on it.

> Is that a really bad idea? ( Often handy to have one file for
> differnet vhosts, but maybe that needs a rethink)

Syslog works this way.

> In this case the drive is NVMe, and there's actually  only a handful
> of sites, (Other servers have several hundreds of sites, much busy but
> don;t display  the issue)
>
> In answer to some of the other suggestions, its not actually under
> high load ( 5000 lines in the apache log for the whole day), and
> system has 16C/32T,  128GB RAM
>
> ZFS is using a bunch of RAM as i've not limited the ARC, but there's
> 27GB free currently.
>
> I guess i actually have 2 questions
>
> 1) why are the queues filling up (i'll  revert to seperate logs to see
> if that helps, although the issue is sporadic, and first time on this
> box)

Most likely (given limited information) because the processes are disk
bound doing something. They're not able to service the queue, thus
leaving a growing queue for the system.

> 2) Once the queues are over limit, is this actually unresolvable other
> than a hard reboot?

No, you can keep running, you'll just get worse and worse... :-(

You need to track down what the processes are doing, as per others'
suggestions, and then work back from there.