Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 15:48:33 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   First observations after /usr/lib restructure

I've just built a new world and kernel, and they work.  That's the
good news.  The not-quite-so-good news is that I had a fair amount of
difficulty to find the libraries I needed.

1.  I have a number of old libraries in /usr/lib which I need for old
    software (such as the XI Graphics X server, which uses
    libc.so.2.2).  Today's version of ldconfig refuses to even look in
    /usr/lib.  I had to link them into /usr/lib/aout in order to get
    them to work.

2.  Something else (fvwm2?  Don't know, it didn't say its name)
    kept complaining about a missing libgnumalloc, which is in
    /usr/lib/compat.  According to my /etc/sysconfig (yes, still
    haven't upgraded it :-), ldconfig should look in this directory,
    but ldconfig -r said it hadn't done so.

I couldn't find the messages from the startup ldconfig, of course, so
I currently don't know why it didn't include /usr/lib/compat in its
path from the beginning.  In any case, I think it's rather strange of
ldconfig to refuse to scan /usr/lib.  Is this because it's afraid of
elves?  I wouldn't have thought they would do it any harm.

Greg