Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:15:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11-toolkits Makefile ports/x11-toolkits/auis Makefile ports/x11-toolkits/auis/files md5 site.h site.mcr         ports/x11-toolkits/auis/patches patch-aa patch-ab patch-ac         patch-ad patch-ae patch-af ports/x11-toolkits/auis/pkg COMMENT ...

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> asami       1999/10/12 03:04:42 PDT

[from his post killing auis]

Actually, it spent about 5 years, with all the users at Carnegie using the
new, converted to C++ (and supposedly very useable) version 8.0 while the
rest of the world had to use the feature-full but quite buggy version 6.3.
About a year ago, when CMU shut the whole thing down, they finally (for a
short time) stuck andrew-8.0.Z up for ftp.  I have a copy here.  It was a
titanic job getting 6.3 working, and probably it would be even worse
getting 8.0 going.

I am bound and determined to get some kernel work done, so I just will not
go porting that monstrosity, which I estimate to be in even worse shape
than thot.  I have the distfile, and if you would like, I'll spend some
evening moving it to freefall (to my dir for ftp access).

If I don't get some real interest from someone I know is capable of doing
some hard porting work (and this is mostly C++) then I won't be moving it,
freefall is short enough on disk space as it is, and this behemoth is more
than 20 megs compressed.

So there!  Other than that, I think killing auis was a fine idea, and I
wish some other aged and unused ports could go too.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)