Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 13:12:48 -0700
From:      Albert Kinderman <albert.kinderman@csun.edu>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: strange sawfish2 failure

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> As for the xview stuff, I was thinking of modifying the port not to
> install its own gettext tools.  I'm not really sure if anything uses
> them that couldn't use the standard gettext tools.  Do you have any
> thoughts?
>
> Joe

Prefaced by "I am not a programmer":

The man page for msgfmt provided by xview shows only one option -v
(verbose).  However, those of us with xview installed got an error
message with

usage: msgfmt [ -dv ] [ - ] [ name ... ]

My guess: as long as programs built against xview use msgfmt with
no option, then the switch should be safe.  Since I don't know
what the -d option is in the xview msgfmt, I don't know if it
would be used the same way as in the gettext msgfmt.

Perhaps you could contact people familiar with the ports built
against xview to see if the ports even use msgfmt and, if so, with
what options.

Al

--
Albert Kinderman  California State University, Northridge
     Department of Systems and Operations Management