Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 17:01:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Steven P. Donegan" <donegan@quick.net>
To:        John Hay <jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current build is now broken..

On Sat, 3 May 1997, John Hay wrote:

> > In article <25335.862526471@time.cdrom.com>,
> > Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:
> > > Also, as I said, now that we're *bootstrapping* many 3.0 builds from
> > > 2.2 ones there are even more issues involved and, while I'd love to be
> > > able to say "chicken and egg, install a 3.0 machine to make 3.0
> > > releases and simplify the makesfiles", I simply don't have the
> > > resources to have *both* 2.2 and 3.0 release building machines
> > > available at the moment (though it'd sure be nice) nor do, I believe,
> > > the other release engineers.  That's another one of them-there
> > > "real-world constraints" I mentioned earlier. :-)
> >
> > I think it is reasonable to require that it be possible to bootstrap
> > a make world for 3.0 on a 2.2 machine.
> >
> > But I do not think it is reasonable to require that it be possible
> > to bootstrap a make _release_ for 3.0 on a 2.2 machine.
> >

> I don't think it is unreasonable to expect it. I have been building
> 2.2 and 2.2.1 releases on a 2.1.7 box here (because it is the only
> PPro box here). That box has been upgraded today to 2.2-stable but
> I would want to use it to build 3.0 snaps and releases. It can't
> run -current because it is also in use as our server.
>
> I think with a little care it will be possible to keep building 3.0
> snaps and releases on a 2.2 machine.
>
> John
> --
> John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za

John, where I work if you bring up a 'problem' or 'issue' guess what -
you own it. So, if you want to be able to build non-congruent releases
(early on late or vice-versa) then go ahead and take a whack at making it
possible.

Fading back to lurker status again...

Steven P. Donegan                       donegan@quick.net