Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:23:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Paul H. Anderson" <pha@pdq.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   >1TB UFS FS?

Hi,

I just put together a system with 12 120GB drives using an Escalade
7500-12 controller.  I installed FreeBSD 4.6 on it.  The driver supports
this new card very well (thanks to whoever wrote it!).

I would like to, if possible, use a larger than 1 TB filesystem (RAID 5
w/10 drives + parity drive + 1 hot spare drive).  The FAQ says there is a
soft limit at 1TB - and that someone has run 4TB systems with
modifications.  Can anyone tell me approximately or exactly what those
modifications are?

I'm comfortable rebuilding kernels, commands and libraries, or the whole
thing if I need to.

I hacked /usr/src/sbin/newfs/mkfs.c to use unsigned block addresses, which
seems to allow correct lseek() calls, but the subsequent write() fails due
to invalid argument.  Before I dive into the kernel, knowing if other
folks have already done this, and what they did would be very helpful.

I know that I can split the drives to two RAID 5 setups (5 drives + 1
parity), and get nearly the same thing, which should work with no
problems.

Thanks for your time and bandwidth,

Paul