Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 2010 20:59:14 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        portmgr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP]: ports feature freeze starts in one week

--Sig_/aWvitQy5degpmAVii2vxJ5b

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:36:33 +0100
Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Normal upgrade, new ports, and changes that only affect other branches
> will be allowed without prior approval but with the extra
> Feature safe: yes tag in the commit message.  Any commit that is
> sweeping, i.e. touches a large number of ports, infrastructural
> changes, commts to ports with unusually high number of dependencies,
> and any other commit that requires the rebuilding of many packages
> will not be allowed without prior explicit approval from portmgr
> after that date.

Let me emphasize "Any commit that [..] touches: infrastructural changes,
commits to ports with unusually high number of dependencies and any
other commit that requires the rebuilding of many packages"

The reason is very simple: we try to have release packages as up-to-date
as possible, and as much tested as possible. Keep in mind that it takes
time and effort to package 20K+ ports.

Please! Help us achieve this :)

--=20
FreeBSD committer -> itetcu@FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B