Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:41:23 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        rbezuide@oskar.dev.nanoteq.co.za (Reinier Bezuidenhout), robinson@netrinsics.com (Michael Robinson), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c workaround clarification

At 09:43 AM 1/21/2000 , David G Andersen wrote:

>Lo and behold, Brett Glass once said:
>
> > No, IPFW can't do it without assistance from another program,
> > which has not yet been written.
>
>   And which I'd wager you won't want to do.  The overhead of pushing the
>acks into usermode will clobber you just as badly.

The ring transition would take time, but the even bigger hit would be
maintaining session tables. That work is redundant, because the kernel
has to do it too. The programming effort is better spent on the kernel,
unless you're firewalling downstream machines. In which case, it'd
be better to modify IPFW's kernel code or use IPFilter.

--Brett