Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:02:39 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>, multimedia-list freebsd <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Skype-1.4 on 6.2 (and 7.0-BETA1)

On Tuesday 30 October 2007, Luigi Rizzo said:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 05:25:07PM +0100, Jan Henrik Sylvester
wrote:
> > Before, I had skype-1.2.0.18_4 on 6.2, which worked.
> >
> > Today, I portupgraded to skype-1.4.0.118.
> >
> > Now I only get: "Call Failed. Problem with Audio Playback".
>
> if i remember well the most recent skype use 'alsa' instead of
> oss as audio API, so the problem might be there.
> Too bad the linux version still doesn't have video support so
> there isn't much of an incentive to upgrade, at least for me.

No, Skype released an OSS version for *BSD and Solaris to use with
linux compatibility. That's what is in the tree now. The main linux
version is alsa.

I did test this on 6-stable and didn't find any problems. However,
skype is known not to play nicely with some sound cards. If I get
enough reports, I'll put a legacy skype12 version back in the ports
tree.

It does look like skype saw the light and will keep supporting an oss
version from here forward.

Make sure you read UPDATING if you're planning on upgrading.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech@FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html