Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 15:48:55 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: IPv8 Tutorial #1: Minimal IPv8 hack

> There is an IPv8 header file referenced at...
> 	http://comm.unety.net/US/IL/Naperville/Unir

ok, thanks for the URL.

> There are macros to test the version and options bits...
>
> You have to use "&" and not "==" to make sure you
> are testing just one bit at a time. Only the high bit
> of the IPv4 version field (ip->ip_v) is used for version.

But 4 = 0100, 6 = 0110, 8 = 1000, etc.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but there is an IPv6 being developed by
a large number of people.

Hmmm.

I'm *very* concerned that you're doing this.

Have you submitted any documentation on this to the IETF ?

Protocol numbers aren't there to be chosen lightly, they should be
registered with the IANA first, before use.