Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:24:53 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>, Tamer Ziady <ziady@in-design.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 7k Sound

> I have a laptop (Dell I3.7k) which also uses the ESS Maestro 2E, and
> I could try to write a driver for that chip if I could get the
> docs... I want to learn how to write a device driver for FreeBSD
> (I wrote drivers for AIX some years ago, so I am not a newbie! ;-) ).
> =

> I am crossposting to -multimedia for this reason. Is there any
> chance to get the ESS Maestro 2E docs? I read somewhere that
> the newpcm developers have the docs, but perhaps a NDA has been signed.=
=2E.

=46rom various sources I've spoken to, the ESS M2E is a real bastard.  =

There doesn't actually appear to be any real documentation available even=
 =

to developers within the company; the best that you'll ever do is source =

for their Windows drivers.

I'd suggest looking at the Linux driver for inspiration; you're not going=
 =

to find much elsewhere. 8(

-- =