Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:39:47 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Jeff Mohler <speedtoys.racing@gmail.com>
Cc:        Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more than 7 partitions on a SCSI-drive

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 11:54:40AM -0900, Jeff Mohler wrote:

> Ive never understood why we still partition drives so much..its one
> spindle..sure, a hige filesystem might cause an edge performance
> issue..but..its one spindle.

Primarily for management and backup/restore convenience.
You can break thing in to convenient chunks for backups, to
have a smaller root to deal with during development/testing/recovery,
to isolate things that may grow unexpectedly from other things, such
as root that can kill the system if it gets overfilled, etc.

I partition mine much less than I used to in the [] old days,
but still find it usefule to have /, /usr, /tmp swap and some work
or home file system separate.    Also, it can be convenient to
separate out database and web site file systems if those get
lots of use.

Otherwise, if you have a rock stable system serving data that does
not change, etc, then breaking things up is not useful.

////jerry