Date:      Tue, 20 May 2014 19:59:43 +0300
From:      Zaro Korchev <zkorchev@mail.bg>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [GSoC] Machine readable output from userland utilities

I'm working on the project "Machine readable output from userland =
utilities" and I want to share my ideas and thoughts.

Here is the wiki page of the project:
=
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2014/MachineReadableFromUserlandUtils=

I'm planning to create a unified output abstraction in the form of a =
library. The tools supporting the machine-readable output feature will =
write output exclusively using the library. The exact output format will =
be customizable. Several backend libraries (like libucl and libnv) can =
be used to implement different formats.
Such library can either be compiled statically into each application or =
linked dynamically (depending on space/performance/versioning and other =
considerations).
Each tool will have to be modified to support the new output mechanism. =
These modifications could trivially be turned on and off using a macro =
switch.
One issue that must be considered is how to manage long outputs since it =
may not be possible to store all data in memory. This would happen =
rarely but can still be a problem. Probably the easiest way to solve =
this is to add streamed dumping capability into the underlying =
libraries.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you,
Zaro=