Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 15:37:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   PCVT -- ^H

I want to map my PCVT keyboard so that the erase key gives ^H, and the
delete key gives the delete code, 0x7f.  I read all the docs, I think
maybe I can do this through the keycap utility, but I can't find anywhere
a mapping between physical positions on a standard (IBM) style keyboard
and the codes that it issues.  I can see the mapping, and how to do it,
once I can determine this; it's pretty obvious to do this for the
function keys, but I am wondering if there's a graphic anywhere to aid in
this mapping, or if anyone simply knows the mapping for those two keys?

Such a mapping table seems to be a glaring omission for a utility that is
intended to support mapping.  It renders much of the capability valueless,
except for function key mapping.  If there was such a mapping, I'd
volunteer to make a nice mapping file, using ascii mapping characters (no
graphical).

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;