Date:      Thu, 09 Jul 1998 00:41:29 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD E-Zine?

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:42:04 -0700 (PDT), Chris Coleman wrote:

>Has anybody given any thought to starting a FreeBSD E-zine?  A Web
>Published Magazine of sorts?  FreeBSD needs a Magazine, and maybe we could
>start out just publishing a small one on the web, till it takes off.
>Just a thought.  I'd volunteer to write a Newbie column for it.

Also recently you wrote....

****FreeBSD Really quick newsletter
>This is a monthly Newsletter, published only by E-mail.
>If you have anything you would like to see in the next edition,
>please send e-mail to fbsd-book@vmunix.com
>Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>

I liked the Quick newsletter because it serves a void from the
FreeBSD pages. To give somewhat recent news of what is going on with
FreeBSD.

The Ezine is a great idea, but I think it would be best to go through
the FreeBSD documentation project and see how to best integrate what
would go into an Ezine with the existing FreeBSD pages.

One of the problems with the FreeBSD pages is that they seem Stale
after one visits them for a while. The newsflash is updated seldom.

>Well, Lets get organized!
>We need:
>	An Editor. :-)

Chris, you seem like a good candidate. Why don't you take the job.
<G>

>	Web Site:

Best to use Freebsd.org since it is mirrored.

>	Webmaster/Formatter, 	Graphic Artists
>	Columnists, Itinerant Article Writers:
>	Newsies:

Why not start with something simpler like improving on having the
newsflash page made more lively and have the most recent newsflash on
the top FreeBSD page. Will give us an exercise in the type of things
we would put in the E-zine. My main concern is that it is a lot of
work to get the job done right and some people may be able to put the
time/hours initialy and then later on not be able to continue.
Starting small (i.e. newsflash) may be able to give us an idea of the
dimention of what it would take to have a good E-zine.

Anothe simple approach is why not just have something like the Quick
Newsletter on the WEB. Nothing really fancy, just something which is
updated regularly, Bi-weekly may be best, and has the latest FreeBSD
news. I just kind of wonder how much from there really belongs in the
newsflash.