Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 19:55:43 -0400
From:      "Jason" <kib@poboxes.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <jak@cetlink.net>, <freebsd@atipa.com>, <brett@lariat.org>, <jkb@best.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

> using their OS monopoly to push their browser.
> gateway recently announced that MS will allow
> gateway to ship computer with the netscape browser.

This I totally agree with.  If this can be proven in court then MS ought to
be fined for this.

> gateway should not need nor seek MS's allowance or
> approval when installing another company's software
> on gateway computers.

Absoltely!

> it is illegal to use a monopoly in one area to push
> your product in another.  a browser aint part of the
> OS.  one can make a browser the sole interface to the
> OS, but it aint part of the OS.

Well...it has been a part of this OS since 1995.  No one has complained
then.  And if MS wants to give away a free OS and intregrate it into their
OS then let them.  Nothing stopping Netscape or any others from doing the
same.

BTW....thanks for getting serious on this....many others just want to whine
and make personal attacks rather than discuss the issues.

Jason