Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 10:08:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
Cc:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@Glue.umd.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cyrus Troubles

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:

> From: "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
> > On Mon, 15 May 2000, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have Cyrus IMAP working on a 4.0-S box? I installed it from
> > > ports, changed the approriate lines in inet.conf, did a kill -HUP pid,
> > > and...nothing. I can't access the account. What am I forgetting? I've
> > > looked through the install instructions in /usr/local/share/docs/cyrus/
> > > but didn't receive any more wisdom than i started out with. Trying the
> > > imtest thing listed in the install file gives me this:
> > >

> Not currently, runni9ng on 4.0, but I do have it running on 3.3-STABLE.
>
> $ imtest -m login -p imap localhost
> C: C01 CAPABILITY
> S: * OK spare.westbend.net Cyrus IMAP4 v1.6.22 server ready
> S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS
> X-NON-HIERARCHICAL-RENAME NO_ATOMIC_RENAME AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD
> 5 UNSELECT
> S: C01 OK Completed
> Password:
>
> The secret to getting SASL working is to create the sasldb.db file by using
> saslpasswd.
>
> NOTE: You must run the program as the cyrus user the first time, as the
> sasldb.db file needs to be owned by this user.
>
> $ ls -l /usr/local/etc/sasldb.db
> -rw-------  1 cyrus  wheel  16384 Feb 14 23:38 sasldb.db
>
> In Cyrus.conf I have:
>
> cat /usr/local/lib/sasl/Cyrus.conf
> pwcheck_method:shadow

It turns out that this is not needed.  The _only_ thing that needs to
be done is cyrus must be able to read /usr/local/etc/sasldb.db.  This
doesn't make any sense at all to me, since pwcheck is supposed to do
this, but cyrus isn't even talking to pwcheck.

> and in imapd.conf I use:
>
> # If enabled, the partitions will also be hashed, in addition to the hashing
> # done on configuration directories.  This is recommended if one partition
> has
> # a very bushy mailbox tree.
> #
> hashimapspool: true
>
> # The mechanism used by the server to verify plaintext passwords.  Possible
> # values include "PAM", "kerberos_v4", "passwd", and "shadow"
> #
> sasl_pwcheck_method: pwcheck

This isn't needed either, it seems.

> # If  enabled,  the  SASL library will automatically create authentication
> # secrets when given a plaintext password.  See the SASL documentation.
> #
> #sasl_auto_transition: no
>
> You'll also want to make sure that the pwcheck daemon is running.

Since cyrus isn't talking to pwcheck, it doesn't have to be running at
all.  I don't know why it isn't, since thats the way I'd rather things
be done (the way cyrus 1.5.x did).

> > I've gone thorough all of the Cyrus and SASL docs and played with
> > various configure options and so forth, without figuring it out.  I'm
> > only testing things out here, but I'd like to eventually get it
> > running on a 3.4-STABLE box as well.
> >
> It took me a little while in getting it to work the first time.  Had to dig
> thru the cyrus-info archive for others that were having the same problems.

Your tips helped a lot, thanks!  The key was letting cyrus read
/usr/local/etc/sasldb.db.  I've made a 'sasl' group for the meantime,
made the file readable by that group, and put the cyrus user in it.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )