Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:48:14 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, core@freebsd.org, advocacy@freebsd.org, webmaster@freebsdmall.com
Subject:   Re: Tekmetrics tests

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 09:55:34AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> This may sound harsh, but I think I have some valid reasons:
>
> 1.  It is very hard to make such a test fair on a global scale.
>     (I did poorly on the "Dilbert" test: I live in Denmark and
>     can't see the Dilbert TV series.)

Doesn't apply.  FreeBSD is global.

> 2.  The "3 minute deadline" is vastly unfair to people who don't
>     have a good command of english.  Are we going to offer spanish,
>     japanese, italian, danish, swedish, hebrew and swahili versions
>     as well ?

So we start on an English test first, and then let the combined forces
of the FDP translation teams turn it into Japanese, Spanish, French,
Chinese, ... (Hungarian could well be next on the list).

> 3.  Do we know what exact quality we're trying to measure here ?
>     Most of the Novell/M$ certified people I've met have merely
>     shown that they're good at looking things up, not that they're
>     imaginative and good at troubleshooting.

That's the kicker.

I stress again that this would be resold through the Mall rather than
through FreeBSD.org -- how big is the separation between those two
entities anyway?

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>