Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 16:33:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      thomas.pornin@ens.fr
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   alpha/29299: Tekram DC390 not supported on FreeBSD Alpha 4.3

>Number:         29299
>Category:       alpha
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 4.3 Alpha + Tekram SCSI adapter panics
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD bolet 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sun Jul 29 15:56:49 CEST 2001 root@bolet:/usr/src/sys/compile/BOLET alpha

This is a PWS 500a with:
-- 576 MB ram
-- Qlogic ISP SCSI adapter
-- Tekram DC390 SCSI adapter with external Iomega ZIP drive

The GENERIC kernel does not include support for the Tekram SCSI adapter.
I recompiled a kernel with the 'device amd' line. At the end of the SCSI
delay (set to 8 seconds in my setup), the kernel enters a fatal trap
related to memory management. I tried with a debug kernel, the trap
is triggered by the line 455 in alpha/alpha/busdma_machdep.c, function
bus_dmamap_load():

	if (map->pagesneeded != 0) {

apparently, at that point, "map" is equal to NULL, and the memory acces
triggers the trap.

I tried to replace that line with the following:

	if (map && map->pagesneeded != 0) {

(and something similar for another access to map->pagesneeded line 491),
but then the machine crashes later with an "unexpected machine check"
(mces = 0x1, vector = 0x660, param = 0xfffffc0000006068). I believe
it is not standard behaviour that bus_dmamap_load() is called with
a NULL map.

The very same kernel, without the 'amd' support, boots and runs fine.
The Tekram card and Zip drive are functionnal (they work on the same
machine under Linux).

>How-To-Repeat:

Just try to boot an Alpha machine with a Tekram adapter and support
compiled in the kernel. Maybe the fact that there is no disk in the
Zip drive is important.

>Fix:

None included. I guess the amd driver requires some tweekings. I have
some spare time for the next three weeks, and am willing to help; but I
do not know where to begin.