Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:41:08 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Gary Kline" <kline@tao.thought.org>, "Malcolm Kay" <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: copying DVD material :: somewhat OT.

Hi Gary,

  You mentioned you wanted to record a 117 minute COMMERCIAL dvd.  Now,
before I continue let me explain that doing so is illegal in the US.
All commercial DVD's are encrypted and the DMCA makes decrypting of
them illegal, it even makes it illegal to give someone a copy of
a program that will decrypt them, it makes it illegal to even write
and post online the source code to such a program. It is NOT illegal
to print up such source code in a paper book and sell it - the authors
of DMCA wanted to duck the 1st amendment -  Google DeCSS for
an understanding of the controversy.

  With this in mind understand that CSS was broken years ago.  Because
of this, the DVD producers figured out that copying wasn't much of
an obstacle to the unwashed masses, particulary when free programs
for Windows began to show up.

  Many people with children have found that they accumulate a large
number of Disney videos.  They have also found the kids tend to scratch
the shit out of them.  So there is a large interest in being able to
copy these things and store the masters safely away, then give the
kids the copy to destroy.  So all copying of commercial DVD's is not
for piracy and I think people who assert this are moronic idiots.
Further, with Disney DVD's, Disney lately has taken to inserting
commercials for Disney cruise lines and other garbage into the DVD's
that are NOT skippable with a normal DVD player.  Responsible parents
do not wish their kids to view this crap and so naturally there is
another reason to copy these - to remaster them to prune out these
commercials so the kids don't view them.  Also illegal under the
law as the copyright holder hasn't given you permission to do this.

  Anyway, Disney is greedy and wishes people to continue to
buy replacement DVD's for ones they already own, and they want to push
their crappy and junky cruise lines.  So they take a dim view of copying.
They know the CSS has been broken so these days they use all manner
of different copy protection.  One system is to intentionally press
the DVD with some sectors using invalid CRC's thus a regular block ISO
copy program will hit these sectors and assume the DVD is bad and
abort.  The menu on the DVD avoids these sectors, naturally.  The
latest trick is to damage the filesystem on the DVD in
such a way as to make the DVD readable by a DVD player but not by
a computer DVD drive.  Pirates of Carribean 3 has that one, for example.
There are many other copy protection tricks, it is a cat-and-mouse
game that entire websites are devoted to following.  Interestingly,
since so many of these schemes utterly violate the DVD standards,
companies like Disney are not allowed to use the official DVD logos
on the boxes that they package their DVD's on.  That is why Disney
for example has their own logo - Disney DVD - which is meaningless
under the standard.

  So far, of the HD formats, HD-DVD encryption has also been cracked
and Blue Ray has not.  That is why this Christmas Disney is pushing
Blue Ray and isn't making their movie titles available in HD-DVD.

  Anyway, the fact is that none of the open source DVD copying
programs can really deal with these advanced systems.  They can
deal with CSS but that's it.  If your plan is to copy commercial
DVD's for your own use, you should be aware of all this.  Right
now, the most advanced DVD cracking programs that will deal with
ALL of the perverted copy protection schemes in use are only available
as commercial programs for Windows.  (Some trialware, some not)
And none are available over-the-counter in the US, you have to
download them from foreign websites.

Ted
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:51 PM