Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:55:28 -0400
From:      "Joseph Mays" <mays@win.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PHP5/MySQL Problem

Been dealing with a very frustrating couple of days, and have hit a wall. I
had a working gallery2 installation, then upgraded mysqli, and  all hell
broke loose.

When I try to open a page (in this case gallery2) that connects to the
database. It always says "Too many open links". The thing is, it even says
that if mysqld is not running.

I'm running under freebsd 6.1.

You can examine my server setup at http://geekfleet.tai-gear.com/server-info

You can examine the php setup at http://geekfleet.tai-gear.com/phpinfo.php

The problem I'm having now is that php5 won't connect to the mysql server.
It's not a gallery thing, I've confirmed that I have the exact same problem
with a simple script to just connect to the mysql server and read the
database. And, in fact, the exact same error occurs if mysqld is not running
at all. Apache shows --

[Mon Jul 16 02:07:10 2007] [error] [client 66.249.66.10] PHP Warning:
mysql_connect() [<a
href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Too many
open links (0) in
/usr/local/www/apache22/data/gallery2/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.in
c.php on line 366

Here is the info in php.ini --

[MySQL]
; Allow or prevent persistent links.
mysql.allow_persistent = Off

; Maximum number of persistent links.  -1 means no limit.
mysql.max_persistent = -1

; Maximum number of links (persistent + non-persistent).  -1 means no
limit.
mysql.max_links = -1

; Default port number for mysql_connect().  If unset, mysql_connect()
will use
; the $MYSQL_TCP_PORT or the mysql-tcp entry in /etc/services or the
; compile-time value defined MYSQL_PORT (in that order).  Win32 will
only look
; at MYSQL_PORT.
mysql.default_port =

; Default socket name for local MySQL connects.  If empty, uses the
built-in
; MySQL defaults.
mysql.default_socket =

; Default host for mysql_connect() (doesn't apply in safe mode).
mysql.default_host =

; Default user for mysql_connect() (doesn't apply in safe mode).
mysql.default_user =

; Default password for mysql_connect() (doesn't apply in safe mode).
; Note that this is generally a *bad* idea to store passwords in this
file.
; *Any* user with PHP access can run 'echo
get_cfg_var("mysql.default_password")
; and reveal this password!  And of course, any users with read access
to this
; file will be able to reveal the password as well.
mysql.default_password =

; Maximum time (in secondes) for connect timeout. -1 means no limit
mysql.connect_timeout = 60

; Trace mode. When trace_mode is active (=On), warnings for
table/index scans an
; SQL-Errors will be displayed.
mysql.trace_mode = Off

[MySQLi]

; Maximum number of links.  -1 means no limit.
mysqli.max_links = -1

; Default port number for mysqli_connect().  If unset,
mysqli_connect() will use
; the $MYSQL_TCP_PORT or the mysql-tcp entry in /etc/services or the
; compile-time value defined MYSQL_PORT (in that order).  Win32 will
only look
; at MYSQL_PORT.
mysqli.default_port = 3306

; Default socket name for local MySQL connects.  If empty, uses the
built-in
; MySQL defaults.
mysqli.default_socket =

; Default host for mysql_connect() (doesn't apply in safe mode).
mysqli.default_host =

; Default user for mysql_connect() (doesn't apply in safe mode).
mysqli.default_user =

; Default password for mysqli_connect() (doesn't apply in safe mode).
; Note that this is generally a *bad* idea to store passwords in this
file.
; *Any* user with PHP access can run 'echo
get_cfg_var("mysqli.default_pw")
; and reveal this password!  And of course, any users with read access
to this
; file will be able to reveal the password as well.
mysqli.default_pw =

; Allow or prevent reconnect
mysqli.reconnect = Off