Date:      28 Oct 1998 09:35:34 -0500
From:      "Robert V. Baron" <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        kent@iastate.edu, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Notebook install

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:

> For 10Mbps ethernet, almost anything NE2000 compatible, or the 3Com
> 3c589.  Modem cards almost all work fine.

One observation here.  You can either use the zp0 driver for the 3c589
which will happen when you install and keep running with it.  Or
you can install with the zp0 and then cut over to pccard and friends
and use the ep0 driver.  In my experience, the zp0 driver is not
stable under normal usage and will wedge.  You need to ifconfig it
up/down.  The ep0 driver works.

And a thought ... it would be nice if sysinstall made cutting over to
the pccard scheme transparent.  It would mimimally have to install a
/etc/pccard.conf file and switch you to a PCCARD kernel.