Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 04:29:54 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@panix.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to find out why ppp link is coming up?

On 2002-01-13 10:49:22, Stan Brown wrote:
> I'm seting up a new STABLE syste, Among other things, this machine will
> provide an on demand connection the network at wor for all the mahcines on
> my home lan. This machinis _not_ the default gateway, but I plan on puting
> a route in that machine that points to the new FreeBSD machine for the work
> network. I have not yet put this route in.
>
> However if I enable "GATEWAY=ON" in /etc/rc.conf, the new machine seems to
> dial the work netwokr on a very regualrr (every 10 minutes ?) bassis, even
> thogh it should have not trafic for that net.

This is answered in the FAQ:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/ppp.html#PPP-AUTO-NOREASONDIAL

> How can Idetermine what is causing ppp to bring the link up?

The FAQ entry linked above describes a way to find out what causes the
dial attempt :)

--
Giorgos Keramidas . . . . . . . . . keramida@{ceid.upatras.gr,freebsd.org}
FreeBSD Documentation Project . . . http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/