Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:35:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: no newgroup/newgrp in FreeBSD?

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Peter Wemm wrote:

> This functionality does not have any place in FreeBSD as "all groups in
> the groups vector are equal".  We could simply provide a non-setuid wrapper
> for running a new command with no changes...  That would be compliant with
> the interface..

newgrp is also of use when your group membership in /etc/groups has been
changed after you logged in and were setup with the appropriate group
list.

You login, are not a member of group freeporn, then someone adds you to
group freeporn, and "newgrp freeporn" will let you get free porn without
logging in again, etc.

No?