Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 22:28:00 +1000
From:      "Shaun Amy, CSIRO TIP/ATNF" <amy@explorer.tip.CSIRO.AU>
To:        "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CCD questions

In message <199910291212.IAA40158@cc158233-a.catv1.md.home.com> you write:
>On 28 Oct, Wes Peters wrote:
>> "Stephen J. Roznowski" wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm looking at the tutorial on building CCDs at
>>
>> Why?  Do you have a compelling reason not to use Vinum volume manager?
>
>No, but why should I use Vinum over CCD? (All I want to do is create
>some larger disks).
>
>I just did a search on www.freebsd.org, and all I could find about Vinum
>seems to imply that the software isn't ready for prime time. Also, a
>quick scan of the vinum(4) man page doesn't lead to a lot of confidence
>since a large portion of the page is devoted to "DEBUGGING PROBLEMS WITH
>VINUM" including kernel panics....
>
>Is Vinum ready for prime time?

Vinum is included in the 3.3-RELEASE which suggests there must be a very high
level of confidence in its stability and functionality.  I would guess that
while Vinum is being actively maintained by Greg et al., ccd is showing its
age and is probably not being as actively maintained.  Vinum has been around
for q good amount of time - I heard Greg talk about is in September 1998 at a
conference.

For some fun, I recently (four weeks ago) decided to stripe and concatenate
a couple of filesystems across two 4GB SCSI disks.  I was so confident I
moved my home directory off my older 2.2.8-STABLE box onto one of these vinum
devices and whilst one user probably doesn't hit things hard I have seen no
problems.

Having had considerable experience with Sun's DiskSuite on Solaris boxes I
didn't have much of a problem in getting things going (it was even easier
than I thought).  There is some excellent info on Greg's WWW site:

   http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html

which may help you get going.  Note that the RAID-5 functionality is now also
present.

Regards, Shaun.