Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2000 17:40:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, "Dr. Brain" <drbrain@toxic.magnesium.net>
Subject:   RE: Uptimes project has moved

> There is already a next release, 4.01.  Seems the only difference
> at a cursory glance is that 4.00 has a freeware license and the
> newer version has the GPL.
>
> It would be nice when you send him/her the patches to ask if the
> tarball could be renamed to something like upclient-unix-4.00.tar.gz
> or upclient-4.0.tar.gz even.  <sarcasm> Unless they intend it to be
> for Linux-only machines in which case what the heck do we have a port
> for? </sarcasm> :)

  The version I was looking at was 4.03 and was named upclient-4.03.tar.gz
(http://www.uptimes.net/download/upclient-4.03.tar.gz). All the
parameters: username/password, host ID, and any proxy server settings were
all compiled in. It is unreasonable to try and collect all this
information before installing the port. If someone adds command-line
parsing, perhaps the author would release a version 4.04 which would be a
more straightforward port.

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Richmond, VA