Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2014 22:04:56 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable ML <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   nvi fails to when encountering 0xa9 character

FreeBSD 10.0-RC5/amd64

When I edit a file containing the 0xa9/copyright/circle-c character. the
line that the character is on is rendered as ~. It is not editable. It
can't even e deleted. While nvi will allow stepping to the next line and
continuing to edit, searching past the line fails and writing out the file
truncated the file at the line. Unless a backup exists, the remainder of
the file is lost.Since that character is usually early in the file, most of
the file is lost. I don't know if other characters also trigger the problem.

Is this a known issue? iconv related? It is VERY annoying! Fortunately I
did have a backup and I usually use emacs.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com