Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2017 12:20:45 -0200
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@obsigna.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lldb on BeagleBone Black

<melounmichal@gmail.com>:
> [...]
working lldb, and pre-build packages are not available, and I fear there =
is a certain reason why not -- perhaps build failures?
gui option) for armv6 by building e.g. devel/llvm-devel on my BeagleBone =
Black?
>>>=20
>>> I tried building devel/llvm-devel having the ports tree attached on =
a fast USB disk. After 36 h of building it bailed out because of some =
obscure error in the AArch64 code generator.
>>>=20
>>> Finally, I don't think that building any LLVM port is viable on the =
BBB, first because building takes forever. The BBB needs 1 minute for =
compiling a C++ file which got only 20 lines of code. Of course this =
comes because the C++ experts tend for some ingenious reasons to hide =
all the implementations into the headers which need then to be compiled =
again and again. Second, it doesn't make sense at all to build LLVM for =
all the possible targets on a machine which I will never ever use for =
cross-development.
>>>=20
>>> I will now try a non-ports build of LLVM 3.91 for the armv6 target =
only.
>>>=20
>>> Best regards
>>>=20
>>> Rolf
>>=20
>> Latest buildable llvm is 37. Any newer fails with overflow for
>> R_ARM_CALL relocation.
>> Michal
>=20
> Michal, thank you very much for your hint.
>=20
> I started with the non-ports build of LLVM 3.91 for the ARM target =
already once I received your message, and for the sake of satisfying my =
curiosity I let it go. As a matter of fact, building and installing =
completed successfully, only it took apprx. 48 h.
>=20
>   cmake .. -DLLVM_TARGETS_TO_BUILD=3D"ARM" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=3DRelease =
-G Ninja
>   ninja lldb install
>=20
> However, the resulting lldb fails to run any target, even the simplest =
hello-world one crashes.
>=20
>    # lldb -- hello
>   (lldb) target create "hello"
>   Current executable set to 'hello' (arm).
>   (lldb) run
>   Process 592 launching
>   Process 592 launched: '/root/install/hello' (arm)
>   Process 592 stopped
>   * thread #1: tid =3D 100089, 0x000083a8 hello, stop reason =3D =
signal SIGILL: illegal instruction
>       frame #0: 0x000083a8 hello
>   hello`:
>   ->  0x83a8 <+0>:  mov    r5, r2
>       0x83ac <+4>:  mov    r4, r1
>       0x83b0 <+8>:  mov    r3, r0
>       0x83b4 <+12>: ldr    r0, [sp]
>=20
>=20
> I am now building LLVM 37 from the ports on the BeagleBone Black =
running FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT. I will let you now the results.

Building and installation of devel/llvm37 from the ports went well =
without problems, however, lldb37 is only of minor usefulness since =
stepping-into/over lines of code does not work. I can set breakpoint, =
and execution stops fine on breakpoints, however, when I hit 'n' or 's', =
the program simply continues execution in a normal fashion until end.

Best regards

Rolf