Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:43:27 +0200
From:      Marko Cuk <cuk@xenya.si>
To:        Krzysztof Parzyszek <kparz@iastate.edu>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel panics and tun interface

Did you read the /usr/src/UPGRADING ?

Read also man ifconfig

for gif I use:

ifconfig gif create

I am sure, that is is same "problem" as with gif interface...

20010724:
        The gif(4) interface has been converted to use cloning
        rather then allocating a static number of devices a compile
        time.  If you use gif interfaces and configure them by any
        method other then setting standard variables in /etc/rc.conf
        you will need to update your system to create devices with
        "ifconfig gifX create" before attempting to configure them.

        See the ifconfig(8) man page and /etc/rc.network for more
        information.