Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 04:20:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/27890: FreeBSD not always seems to take the best route

The following reply was made to PR kern/27890; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc: Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 13:19:26 +0200

 On Tue, 05-Jun-2001 at 20:05:57 +0100, David Malone wrote:
 > On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 06:30:14PM +0200, Andre Albsmeier wrote:
 > > The problem is that each time when syslogd on C wants to send
 > > a packet to S, the kernel still uses 1 as router even though
 > > it should send them through 2.  After HUPing or restarting
 > > syslogd on C (which means that the UDP socket is closed and
 > > opened again) things are back to normal.
 >
 > This sounds like it is to do with the caching of recently used
 > routes. Does the effect go away if you leave it for a while?

 I had it running for 3 hours now but it didn't change. As
 soon as I HUP'ed syslogd it worked.

 > Adjusting some of the following sysctls might change how long
 > you have to wait:
 >
 > net.inet.ip.rtexpire
 > net.inet.ip.rtminexpire
 > net.inet.ip.rtmaxcache
 >
 > (Some of the networking people could definitely provide more
 > details.)

 Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org> sent me a mail and asked
 me to reproduce the behaviour with netcat. This worked
 properly so maybe it is really some issue with syslogd.
 I will try to isolate the problem as soon as Ruslan
 can reproduce it with syslogd.

 Thanks,

 	-Andre