Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:13:25 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>, Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Moving chapters around in the Handbook

-On [20010723 08:20], Murray Stokely (murray@osd.bsdi.com) wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 02:14:25PM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
>> Murray, please clarify the scope of what the handbook you are working
>> on actually is and who/which type of users it aims at.
>
>  I haven't quite gotten around to writing the section of Chapter 1
>that will address exactly this question.

Scope should be the first. :)
Without a proper scope you cannot write the rest of the document. :)
</anal techwriting>

>The Handbook as it stands now has a fairly broad scope and I think that
>is fine as long as we are careful.

*nod*

>We want to help users get it installed, setup X, configure a home
>network, run Internet servers, etc.  Clearly the book is getting quite
>large and Nik and I have talked about splitting it up very soon after
>publication of the 2nd Edition.  I think there is a lot of value in a
>unified 2nd Edition so I'd like to hold off for a couple of months
>until that happens.

Sure no problem.
Makes a lot of sense as well.

>> Nik, I am considering more and more to repocopy the handbook and make
>> what Murray is working on (in awaiting his answer) the end-user handbook
>> and the new copy an administrator's handbook.
>> I think the latter will definately benifit those on the -isp list, let
>> alone those who use FreeBSD for Internet backbone routing and all those
>> nifty things.  Maybe network backups, clustering.  I doubt any normal
>> user needs those.  And I sincerely doubt that that needs to be in the
>> (end-user) Handbook.
>
>  I completely agree that this is the way we need to go.  I just want
>to wait a couple of months before splitting up the document.  I have a
>few more meaty sections I want to contribute and I don't think we've
>quite reached a "critical mass" for splitting the Handbook yet anyway,
>although we are certainly getting there.

Like I said above, no problem.  I was not proposing to do it right now,
since I know you and Chern are working on the new edition to be
publicised.
I was merely gathering information from you and the other regular
contributors about the split.

>  If you've really got an itch, then it might be better spent on
>developing docs.freebsd.org or some other place where we can actually
>display all of this documentation.  Our current setup, with a single
>link for the Handbook in our navigation bar and the rest of the books
>thrown in with tutorials is less than ideal.

Oh, I have an itch alright and taking it out on www and the developer's
handbook. :)

I'll look at the navigation stuff.
I'll also see how bad converting the webpages to real SGML will be.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven/Asmodai asmodai@[wxs.nl|freebsd.org|xmach.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder, finger asmodai@ninth-circle.dnsalias.net