Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2012 03:18:10 -0400
From:      David Wimsey <david@wimsey.us>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Memory consumption after turning off dedup

I've had dedup on for a while and everything was good until the feeble =
machine I have as a file server couldn't deal with the memory =
requirements of dedup.  I solved the problem by adding more RAM, =
imported the pools on the machine and turned off dedup.  I had a ratio =
of less than 2x, and the main savings were on virtual machine disks =
which I want maximum performance for.

Does the memory consumption due to the DDT go away when you turn dedup =
off or do I need to do a send/recv on it?

I assume that once the block is deduced and written to disk its not =
really any different than a blocks associated with a snapshot, is that =
correct?

I also assume that there is no performance penalties on reads, only =
writes since it (with dedup on) has to check the dedup table to see if =
it is a duplicate, is that correct?