Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:34:03 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "The Matrix" screensaver, v.0.2

> > But it's not going into the tree, no.  I think Kevin's point and the
> > experiences we had with Hasbro should already have convinced people of
> > that much.
>
> I think people are being almost clinically paranoid here.  Hasbro and
> folks got upset over TRADEMARK infringement, e.g. from using a name
> they had trademarked.  I rather doubt that Warner Bros.  have managed
> to trademark the name "matrix" since it's already a common english
> word.  "Boggle" and "Tetris" don't fall into that category.

The issue with boggle and tetris wasn't the name, it was "look and feel".
That's the same issue here; the "matrix" screensaver mimics the
"distinctive likeness" of a portion of WB's entertainment product, and
being a screensaver (rather than, say, a car component) it's also an
"entertainment product".

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org