Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2014 11:25:06 +0100
From:      Bram Van Steenlandt <bram@diomedia.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using Nokia Cell Phone or GSM Modem to send sms's

Hi,

I use an sierra wireless Xtend modem on freebsd, this works well, I have
my own building automation stuff that I also use for customers (which
checks for power fails with modbus/smartlink systems and/or the local ups).
We also use it when there is a temperature problem (IT room too hot,
freezing temp. in rooms with water pipes) or when equipment goes offline
(with ping or tcp connect)
Cell phones like a nokia work well on linux, on freebsd you may want to
test these, every phone is different, I have a rugged phone which has a
prolific usb<->rs232 adapter built in (this would work on bsd I think).

the xtend modem is rs232, I use it with libftdi as this gives the best
performance.

You can just send AT commands to send an sms, plenty of examples and
documentation online.

Bram