Date:      20 Dec 1999 02:59:29 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Who do you run backups as?

Marc Wandschneider <marcw@lanfear.com> wrote:

> 	currently, I'm running tape backups (dump) as root.

Nothing wrong with that. However, if you want to allow somebody to
take backups but don't want to trust (burden) him with root
privileges, you can do without.

> 	Question:  Any reason they shouldn't be run as root?  How does said
> non-root user still get permission to read all the files on all the file
> systems?

Any user who is member of the "operator" group can run dumps.
dump(8) doesn't go through the normal file API but rather reads
UFS filesystems directly by way of the raw device. If you check
your /dev, you'll see that disk nodes are readable for group
operator, and tape devices are writable.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de