Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 14:13:52 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        chen@ipsilon.com
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   a request for TCP enhancement

<<On Thu, 30 May 1996 10:27:41 -0700, Jerry Chen <chen@Ipsilon.COM> said:

> In FreeBSD, the ratio of the total number of ack's (including window
> updates) to the incoming number of TCP packets is about 1 to 2.1.  That
> is, under heavy traffic, FreeBSD TCP sends out 1 ack or window update
> when it receives, on the average, 2.1 packets.  In Solaris 2.5, it sends
> out 1 ack when it receives, on the average, more than 20 packets.

It is generally believed in the research community (at least the part
that I work next door to) that at least 1:2 is desirable and there is
sentiment in some quarters to get rid of delayed acks altogether and
always ack every packet immediately.  The way in which acking
frequency interacts with congestion control and avoidance is
non-trivial, and changing it is not a good idea unless you think you
understand TCP better than Van Jacobson.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.